Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Handmaid's Tale - Blog 7

Final blog, excited much? Heck yes.

Well, since it's the end of the blog, I think I'd like to reflect on the book. What I like, what I didn't, etc, etc, etc.

I enjoy how each character comes to life. I can actually see a woman like Offred living in the world we live in today. Sure, she may not be in the same situation, but she'd probably think the way she does. I see a woman, not so good looking, but not bad either. She had an okay life, a mother that wasn't around, but she still got through it. Fell in love, had a child, etc. Her life was the one of an average person until some major event would change it forever. See, that's a real person. I'm sure that you could find at least 3 or 4 people on each street that would fit this description.

I hated how everything seemed to make me angry. I hated it that Offred didn't fight back. I hated that she didn't stand up for herself more. I hated that she went through this inhumane lifestyle. I understand why she wouldn't, but I could see how much she wanted to with her freakish ideas of burning the house with a match. It's not that I hate she wouldn't do it, I hate that she didn't do what she wanted.

Nick and Offred. Their relationship was so vague. I wish the author would have made it more clear of what was going on in their relationship. We all knew there was sex and comfort, but was it real? Were they in love? Did she still love Luke? What would she do if he was still alive?

Well, yeah.

1 comment:

  1. I also thought Offred's incapability to act was frustrating but I think this just proves how powerful the oppressive society is. I think she did the best she could to cope. Unlike Janine, she didn't lose her mind and unlike Moira, she didn't lost all hope. Of all the women character's I liked Ofglen the best because she had courage and strength.

    ReplyDelete