Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Handmaid's Tale - Blog 6

If I were a character in the book...

I'd choose to be a Martha.

Sure, I'd be like your average maid, but still. It's better that what the handmaid's got. I would not have to go through all that brainwashing they go through in the schools. I'd be to stubborn and would end up worse than Moira did. Plus, I could not give up my body for someone to use. If I were to bear children, they would be my children. Not yours, or hers, or his, but mine. Plus, I could not stand having some old guy touch me in that way. Can you say pedophile?

Oh and the Wives? Man, do they have it bad. If I were a Wife, I'd be so angry all the time. I would not want to share my husband just so I could repopulate the city. Sure, call me selfish, whatever. I DON'T CARE. You want to go into the bible and see that famous men of God had multiple wives? Old Testament. Plus, God create one man for one woman.

The Aunts. Well, I don't think my personality would fit the one of an Aunt. If I was an Aunt, I'd probably be one working to get the handmaids out of their sticky situation.

Good thing this is fake and women are subjected to these categories.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, of all the categories, the Marthas have it easier than the rest. I would not want to be a Aunt, because I would be working for the oppression. Wives have no life and the life of a Handmaid is pretty much unbearable in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete