Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Handmaid's Tale - Blog 2

While reading, I was deeply enriched in the scene where the Commander wants to play Scrabble with Offred. It made me question much of what could possibly be going on through the Commander's or what his actual intentions were.

I feel as if he does not want to treat Offred as a Handmaid, but as an actual human being. First off, he's acknowledging the fact that she knows how to read and spell, something women are not allowed anymore. In some sort of way, he may actually be calling her equal to himself, but she does in fact beat him the first round.

Maybe he's lonely. I'm sure his life with is actual wife isn't as exciting as it used to be. I guess this may be the only real human connection he has had with anyone in so long. You can just sense it from the way he gets tongue-tied while asking her to play. I mean, his wife seems so cold and distant from everyone in the house already, I doubt she treats her husband very differently. I kind of feel sorry for the poor guy. I guess this new world hasn't just impacted women life Offred, but also lonely old men like the Commander.

No comments:

Post a Comment